The former RAF hangars at Pembroke Dock, once home to the famous Sunderland flying boat, are undergoing a £900,000 restoration
A £900,000 project is under way to restore the former RAF flying boat hangars at Pembroke Dock. The listed structure will be used for boat building and large-scale manufacturing operations.
Former Royal Dockyard Pembroke Dock was used by the RAF from 1930 as a base for the famous Short Sunderland and other flying boats. Nicknamed ‘flying porcupines’ by the Germans due to their strong defences, three squadrons of Sunderland aircraft were stationed there at the outbreak of World War II, engaged in protecting supply convoys. By 1943, 99 flying boats of various types were based at Pembroke. The last of the planes left the dock in 1957, after which the site was sold off. It is now managed by Milford Haven Port Authority.
Grant funding from various organisations, including European Objective One and the Welsh monuments agency Cadw, has enabled restoration work to begin on the Eastern hangar. Work on the Western hangar is planned for later this year.