Flares test produces some interesting and surprising results, plus the best ways to calibrate your yacht's instruments.
Fit for offshore
Make sure your boat is prepared for offshore cruising
Catching the Millennium bug
Paul Gelder steps aboard Spirit of Diana, and meets the paying crew taking part in the latest round the world yacht race
Our new series on hidden anchorages opens with Les Ecrehou, nestling between Jersey and Brittany
What! No paddle?
Nobby Clark finds himself lost in the fog off Newtown Creek
Lifesavers or damp squib?
Our test of the flares you might be buying for your boat produces some interesting and surprising results
Destinations – Ramsgate
Our pull-out chart series visits this East Coast stopover
The latest in the Sail power series, Peter Nielsen looks at options for shortening sail quickly and easily
Just do it!
Two couples and their young children set sail from Hamble bound for Istanbul on the adventure of a lifetime
The American built catamaran Gemini 105M is put through her paces by Yachting Monthly’s testers. Is she the cat’s whiskers?
The Full Mountie
David Owen embarks on a bareboat charter in eastern Canada with just the barest essentials
Destinations – Ostend
The Belgian resort scooped out of the Flanders dunes
Best ways to calibrate your yacht’s instruments
A pre-season cruise reveals the English Channel in all its moods as witnessed by Peter Nielsen
– Question of seamanship
– Learning curve
– Des Sleightholme
– Tom Cunliffe’s Yachtmaster class
– Crew class: step-by-step guide to crewing skills
– Win a hand-held Magellan GPS in this month’s Pilotage quiz
– Skippers’ tips: finding warm water
- On watch – news: Marina spy, Club call and Pub guide
- Charter news
- Readers’ letters
- Next month/subscriptions
- New boats
- Win a ‘1,000 holiday: Nominate your newsagent
- Blue water letter: From Sydney, Australia
- Marina Guide survey: Win a hand-held VHF worth ‘150
- Libby Purves
- New gear: The latest arrivals at the chandlers
- Any questions?
- YM books
- Around the coast: News from our correspondents
- Waterside property
- Second-hand focus: Miles Kendall looks at the Twister
- The confessional: Readers own up to their sailing sins