HRH visits pier restoration and reopens Yacht Club facilities
HRH the Duke of Edinburgh is to visit Yarmouth Pier today as it undergoes extensive restoration work. The UK’s longest wooden pier is being eaten by gribbles, but has recently been awarded a £350,500 grant. Yarmouth pier opened in 1876, making it possible for paddle steamers to bring passengers from Lymington to the Isle of Wight. It has been a central feature of the town ever since.
A keen sailor all his life, His Royal Highness also officially re-opened part of the Hamble based Royal Southen Yacht Club on Sunday. He has a long association with the club, joining in 1948, being Admiral of the Club from 1952 to 2002 and now its Patron.
Originally homes for fishermen and coastguards, the cottages became the club house when the Royal Southern moved to Hamble in 1947. The reopening commemorates two years of restoration and upgrading of the cottages to provide 11 well appointed bedrooms, plus a master suite, as well as new reception and administration offices and chart room.