The first ever Southampton Sailing Week started today, with a parade of sail and events ashore ahead of a week of racing
The first ever Southampton Sailing Week got underway today, with a host of events both on and off the water. The event is running from May 24 to 29 and showcases water sports of all types, from sailing and powerboating to paddle boarding and rowing.
Among the events taking place during Southampton Sailing Week are:
- Six days of racing on the water
- A parade of sail featuring more than 100 vessels including yachts, RIBs, motorboats, kayaks and paddleboards (Saturday 27 at 1200)
- Open days at various marinas and sailing clubs
- Free dinghy sailing sessions for schools at the Southampton Water Activities Centre
- A regatta party across multiple bars and restaurants in the city, where revellers can sip on Southampton
- Sailing Week cocktails and socialise at a range of venues (Sunday 28th and special offers running all week)
- A ‘music on the marina’ event at MDL Ocean Village Marina where visitors can enjoy live classical music overlooking the water (Saturday 27th from 4pm)
- RIB treasure hunts with Solent Events
- Sailing taster days with Sunsail
It is the first time Southampton has hosted a dedicated week to celebrate sailing and organiser Chris Rees says he hopes it will bring the joy of water sports to a new audience.
He said: ‘Southampton sits on one of the best stretches of water in the UK for sail racing, so it’s only right that it has its own celebration of sailing. Sadly, despite this fantastic resource being on our doorstep many people in the city have never had a chance to get out on the water so creating those opportunities is a big part of Southampton Sailing Week. There’ll be plenty of chances for people to try their hand at everything from paddle boarding to dinghy sailing and, for the more seasoned sailors, there’ll be plenty of races to take part in daily.’
Free offshore cruising seminars
Police release the identity of the 20 year old man who died at Southampton Boat Show last week, when he…
Southampton Boat Show opens
Boats and books among the many launches
Smog over Southampton
How to make friends and influence people
A host of local companies have got behind the event, including MDL Marinas, Sunsail, Red Funnel and Delicious Dining. Southampton Sailing Week has also been welcomed by sailing celebrities including Dee Caffari MBE, Helena Lucas MBE and Geoff Holt MBE.
To find out more about Southampton Sailing Week, which is supported by MDL Marinas and Sunsail, and find out about 10 ways you can get involved for less than £10 visit www.southamptonsailingweek.co.uk