Jim Mottram seeks out a previously visited anchorage on the beautiful Treguier River

It can often seem a long day sailing from the Channel Islands to Tréguier. Such was the case this time and it was late afternoon before I passed La Corne tower. I was now motoring up against the ebbing tide and it was slow progress. I had had enough for one day and considered picking up a
buoy off the small village of Roche Jaune. However, the breeze, which until then had been non-existent, strengthened to a moderate headwind and the surrounding shoreline looked bleak and unfriendly. Gradually the buoyed channel became narrower and looked more inviting, and
I soon reached the bend in the river where the long sand spit of the Ven bank reached out to the port-hand No. 10 buoy. I had anchored here under the high, rocky cliff face eight years ago and now a large British yacht had done the same. It is quite deep here and necessary to anchor close in. I edged ahead of the other yacht and ‘ole Cold Nose’ splashed down to seven metres although it was nearing Low Water Neaps and the rocky shoreline seemed almost within throwing distance.
The honeycombed spire of Tréguier Cathedral just peeped out from behind the darkening cliff face as I settled in for a peaceful night.

I moved into the marina early next day while the tide was still slack at the pontoons and enjoyed a day in the little village. Next morning I was full of indecision as, although there was little breeze, the forecast was not good. I did not relish another day here, sandwiched between two high-walled, neglected boats, but I had to make my mind up before the tide became too strong to leave. Reluctantly, I set off but when I reached the bend where the same yacht was still nestled under the château on the wooded cliff, the temptation to stay was too much to resist. My anchor soon went down in the same spot and I settled down while the world took another turn. I was so glad I had made the right decision as it blew really hard during the afternoon yet I felt very content and
relaxed. The wind whistled through the hardy trees clinging to the rocky cliff but above this could be heard the soothing calls of wood pigeons and other birds. The boat yawed quite a bit during the squalls

‘Anchored under the wooded cliff, Reservation settled for a peaceful night’

but there was no snatching or grumbles from the cable and she never swung stern to wind during the full strength of the tide. The wind went down again in the evening and the gentle green stream slid quietly past and it remained a peaceful night. Next morning, it was simple to hoist sail and up-anchor to continue Reservation’s next adventure.